here's a new ideea...although an old breakout one
al the credits go to XREDX who posted on the strategybuilder forum
Range A: 7 pips
Range B: 9 pips
Range C: 25 pips
Range D: 75 pips....breakout
take the average the previous 3 - 15 minute periods(bars) and then if the period that just closed was 3 x as much as the average then set a sell stop and buy stop. The buy stop would be placed about 5 - 7 pips above the high from the previous 15 minute period and the sell stop would be placed below the low from the previous period. And I set an expiration on it for about 25 minutes.
thought it's worth mentioning another idea posted on a forum
The system is based on too-well-known double tops and double bottoms patterns, the only difference is that it's completely formalized, there's no room to guess whether it is a pattern or not.
Here you are, in just 5 steps.
1. Let's call an upper cardinal point the following high:
h(-2) < h(-1) < h(0) > h(1) > h(2),
where h(i) represent highs of consequent bars, h(2) is the high of the last closed bar, thus h(0) is the upper cardinal point 2 bars ago (they are always two bars behind).
2. Respectively, a lower cardinal point conforms to the following formula:
l(-2) > l(-1) > l(0) < l(1) < l(2).
3. Now let's find one of the following patterns: a) a lower cardinal point between two upper ones or b) an upper cardinal point between two lower ones in strict consequence.
4. As we've found a pattern we place a stop sell order at a small distance below the lower cardinal point (case 3a) or a stop buy order at a small distance above the upper cardinal point (case 3b). We place stops at the highest of upper cardinal points (case 3a) or at the lowest of lower cardinal points (case 3b).
5. We move stops at new upper (case 3a) or lower (case 3b) cardinal points as they appear.