Trailing stop methods

What type of trailing stop method works best for you?

a] a fixed 5 pips trailing stop.

b] a 10 pips stop that starts to decrease after the profit target is reached.

c] a stop based on ATR.

d] Time based.

e] some other method you want to share.

Personally I'm thinking about a combination of b and c. But haven't an idea yet how to put it in code.

It depends you know.

First two options ( if you really mean 5 or 10 ) ar too small, but if you mean just some rought numbers, i think they can work if your system is right, of course to figure hose numbers for your system you need to do a lot of testing.

I haven`t used ATR or Time based trailing stops so i can`t tell you much about them.

I once used a parabolic sar trailing stop, worked pretty nice.

SAR is of no use. I need the stops for my exhaust sytem I descibed elsewhere. SAR is putting stops on the wrong side of the candles....

I use 5 pip stops in my dreams. When I'm awake 120+ seems more realistic.

Surely I'll test the numbers a lot. I'm waiting on Fridays final release of MT4 so I can start backtesting. (as a rough indication of performance)

Let's hope it works as it's my 1st piece of code in MT4.

Hi everybody....

Most traders familiar with trailing stop....i guess

I am looking for trailing profit.......Anybody can help? here how it goes.....

After taking new position.....after the pip goes like -25 (negative) or more, i consider it a wrong timing trade. Forget about profit, now think about preserve the capital. The trailing profit will change/adjust the profit target from like say +25 pip to breakeven or small losses.

Anybody got mq4 coded for this one.

Thank you

I am not nderstand about trailing stop..because i am newbie

I need to know how to use stop losses, trailing stops and profits and so much more.

I'm just demo ing now so no real loss but a gain in knowledge.

Everything was going so well .

I felt like I was figuring it out. it was going in my favor.

Then bam !!!!!!!

It all turns the other way.

Some times i think maybe i should close trade while I am ahead but it looks like things are are looking good in my favor.

I will just keep learning until i get it right.

I know its a GIANT learning process.

Lots of reading, studying and practicing.

Good things take time.

kauaibobby

For my style of trading (daily charts), stops are the first thing I enter. If I don't know my stop, I don't know my risk.

I mostly use 70-80% of ATR(20) for my stops but it really does depend. I go into detail in my free ebook. click on my user name to find the thread.

p.s. I have a trading aquaintance who just looks at price on his platform to judge the entries/exits. Everybody's different but for me, I can't work without stops/

it seems like time-based makes me stop trading.

I've tried a number of these methods (fixed, based on ATR, percentage, etc.) through the back tester for trend following systems.

Sometimes one works better than another, but as a general rule, I get better results with no trailing stop at all, i.e. some other exit.

Perhaps they work better for shorter term, scalping systems. Dunno.

I am rarely to use trailing stop method, but only sometimes

usually based on value15 pips, altough this too tight value

for my trading will depends on which EA as well as its strategy. 
Reason: