Get Metatrader 4 working under Linux!

There is a lot of interest out there in running Metatrader 4 on the Linux platform, however until Metaquotes does a native Linux version, the only option if you want to do it is to run it under WINE emulation.

What follows is a step by step guide to installing MT4 in Linux. I have used the excellent Ubuntu distribution for this task.

1) Install WINE if it's not already installed. I used version 0.9.33. Please refer to The Ubuntu Wiki for advanced WINE setup instructions.

2) From a valid windows installation, copy over all the fonts into your wine installation. It assumes you told Ubuntu to mount your windows partition in /windows.

cp /windows/WINDOWS/Fonts/* ~/.wine/c/windows/fonts/
3) Copy 2 needed DLL files from your valid windows installation.

cp /windows/WINDOWS/system32/mfc4* ~/.wine/c/windows/system32/
4) Download mt4setup from FXOpen

5) Install MT4.

wine mt4setup.exe
6) You should now have an icon on your Desktop and a working install of MT4 under Linux!

* Please note, in order to set a limit/stop order without an invalid parameters error you need just to remove the expiry (Uncheck the box under the entry price).

Ouch. This post looks messed up and I can't even get to the edit button to fix it. Sorry mods :/

I wanted to upload a smaller version of the screenshot to fit in with the forum CSS since it doesn't seem to be able to handle it.

You can update in new post. No need to edit.

hi i did like you said but when i try to edit variables for indicators it won't allow me do you know why? thanks!

found answer to my problem you can find it here. you have to install fonts into wine folder or many indicators will give errors. copy c:\windows\fonts or c:\windows\media\fonts to /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts directory i hope i wrote that right.

to edit variables you need to hit f2 because double clicking won't work

eaglestar:
to edit variables you need to hit f2 because double clicking won't work

Yes thats right . Sorry I was away from here for a while so I couldn't answer.

Anway, you can see the article without the formatting problems at Howto: Metatrader 4 under LINUX

what will be the advantages of run the metatrader from Linux?

Linux is almost free. The only cost of getting it up and running is the DVD/download cost, which is around $3. Besides that, the license is free.

Running MetaTrader under Linux will not offer any advantages. It runs with the help of a linux program called Wine which is pretty unstable. Therefore, if you are trading with a lot of money, the best option is to run MetaTrader under Windows.

Hi I would appreciate some help with getting MT4 working with Ubuntu 10

I have successfully installed the MT4 program, but it won't run as I do not know how to get the mfc42.dll fonts into the correct place. I have tried codes provided on this forum and from other places but it does not work.

I have the mfc42.dll file on my desktop.

Can someone please give me the correct code /method of getting the file to the correct location.

Thank you

Reason: