Metatrader under Linux (with limit orders working)

To be able to place limit orders in MT4 under Linux you also need to copy COMCTL32.DLL (Win32 calendar control) into the windows/system32 folder under WINE. You can grab this from Win XP's system32 folder or from comctl32.dll free download - DLL-files.com

Then run winecfg & add to the library "comctl32.dll" (without the quotes) & set it to run the Windows native version not the built in. Do the same with "mfc42.dll" & "mfc40.dll" after copying it into your WINE system32 directory.

Copy over the c:\windows\fonts from an Win XP install to your WINE directory - or alternatively use WineDoors to install the fonts

Now the calendar control works correctly & you can place limit orders in Metatrader

Thank you for this info.... however, how many people actually use metatrader under linux and what are the benefits in doing so?

Hi Tradetaxfree

What exactly is this supposed to fix?

As per my post at Howto: Metatrader 4 under LINUX about getting mt4 working in Linux, I suggested to just uncheck the "expiry" in the pending order window to avoid the invalid parameters error when setting a limit or stop order. The reason for that is that the expiry it uses as default is the current time so by the time you set the order up, the time has already passed. That problem still exists with this new DLL unless I am missing something

bossxero:
Thank you for this info.... however, how many people actually use metatrader under linux and what are the benefits in doing so?

There are quite a few of us using linux to trade. The main advantage is that Linux doesn't suffer from annoyances like popups, viruses, constant demands to reboot after every tiny update, instability issues etc...

Linux is just far more productive. Ok, so windows wins as far as playing games goes, but for anything else, Linux does it just as well or better.

Unfortunately I haven't worked out how to get the new MT5 beta install to work in linux yet, but I'm sure we linux boffins will work it out eventually as we always do

wow..

is it says linux is the best for metatrader?

i dont hv any experience in linux... you should teach more..

Hi RebateFX,

I'm using WINE 1.1.16 & without using the Windows version of "comctl32.dll" & setting the wine config to use this version the calendar control didn't work & I wasn't able to untick the Expiry box (so I couldn't enter limit or stop orders) - now MT4 works exactly as it should & I don't need to untick anything.

Maybe the builtin WINE version of "comctl32.dll" has been fixed in the current 1.1.31 beta development version - there have been some bug fixes for this dll.

What version of WINE are you running ?

Thank you.

I am actually considering of moving to Linux as most of my computer use is through browser. However, I did not know how to work with MetaTrader in linux - thank you for this useful post!

Hey tradetaxfree, I running Ubuntu 2.6.31-15 ( kernel version, can't remember the name or ubuntu version - 9.10? ) on my main machine. I trade on my win2k machine - so since in paying the Winopoly. I'll see about getting metatrader working on wine over the holiday. I trade on the fxcm micro platform but I use metatrader a lot especially looking for s/r areas. Glad to know there's another linux guy around if I have problems. Never used wine, everything I use with the exception of the fxcm platform is on linux.

I'm always around to help with mt4 on linux. I use FXOpen's MT4.

You can use VMWare to run any Windows app under Linux.

It does't recognize comctl32.dll file for me.... Why could that be?

tradetaxfree:
What version of WINE are you running ?

XRanger:
You can use VMWare to run any Windows app under Linux.

The idea is that you don't want to actually run windows at all

VMWare might work for now for MT5 until we work out how to do it in WINE. MT4 runs fine in WINE.

Reason: